What is SkillsUSA?
SkillsUSA is a student leadership organization available to all Career and Technical students. It is a national organization serving more than 300,000 high school and college students and professional members who are enrolled in training programs in technical, skilled, and service occupations, including health occupations. As SkillsUSA members, students develop into well-rounded persons with technical, academic and “employability" skills-the skills that assist individuals not only to secure employment but to build successful careers. In every meeting, contest, leadership conference and activity, students build these skills. SkillsUSA members have an opportunity to compete against other students at the district, state, and national levels. Chapter Officers handle routine business, organize and conduct meetings, organize committees, and carry-out chapter activities. These duties enhance their basic organization and supervisory skills and strengthen team and school spirit.
How has Shawsheen Tech performed over the past 4 years?
- 231 Medal Totals since 2007
- 76 Gold Medals
- 68 Silver Medals
- 83 Bronze Medals
- 4 National Silver Medals in 2008
- 1 National Silver Medal in 2009
- 1 National Gold Medal 2010
2015 State Competition Results - Updated 5/4/15
Shawsheen Tech also elects Chapter Officers
Chapter Officers set the tone of the chapter. They handle routine business, organizing and conducting meetings, organize committees and carrying out chapter activities. This helps them learn basic organization and supervisory skills and creates a responsible team spirit.
Once officers are elected, they begin planning and organizing the chapter events for the school year. To help them learn the best way to organize their chapter’s events the chapter officers attended the SkillsUSA Fall State Leadership conference held at The Best Western Hotel in Marlboro, MA on November 21-23rd, 2010. The students foster their leadership abilities to improve their local chapter through participation in workshops facilitated by the State Officer Team.
In addition the officers attend meetings after-school on a regular basis, Wednesday afternoon. The reasons we meet so frequently are:
- To keep all programs running smoothly
- Get fundraising underway
- Participate in Community Service projects
- Make items to sell at fundraisers
- Manage the district and state conferences
- Attend special functions
The chapter officer positions are a big time commitment however it is also an enjoyable time. We also plan and attend social events outside of the school day.
Some functions we have attended:
- Officer installation ceremony at Minuteman Career and Technical School
- Advisory Board meetings here at Shawsheen
- Museum Of Science
- Dogtown Tours, Rockport MA
- Movie nights at officer homes
- Fall State Leadership, Marlboro MA, November
- District Competition, Greater Lowell Tech, March
- State Conference, Marlboro, MA, April
- National Conference, June