Principal's Update - October 8th 2021
Dear Shawsheen Students, Parents/Guardians, and Colleagues,
Thank you to all of our staff and students who have contributed to a successful Spirit Week at Shawsheen. The hallway decorations, themed outfits each day of the week, and the incredible participation at last night's Homecoming dance have all been an incredibly refreshing return to normalcy for all of us. I know I speak for both staff and students when I say that I am excited about the level of school spirit we've seen this week!
Student Representatives: Student Cabinet and School Council
On September 8, I wrote to all students to make them aware of leadership opportunities in the school through the Student Cabinet and the School Council. I am excited to share the names of the students who will serve in those positions this year and encourage students to reach out to their representatives regarding ideas and concerns they have.
Two students serve on the School Council as Student Representatives. These students were voted on at a Student Council meeting, which all students were invited to participate in. Please join me in congratulating your representatives for this year:
- Michael Parent - Grade 11, Electrical
- Alexa Strong - Grade 11, Medical Assisting
All students were invited to apply to be on the Student Cabinet, which meets monthly with Ms. Cook and Dr. Jackson. We communicated that we would accept between 10-20 students to serve on the cabinet, aiming to put together a representative group of students based on a range of factors (i.e. grade, shop, etc.). We did not receive applications from students in all shops, but we do have a robust group of 13 students who we are excited to work with on the Student Cabinet this year. This group of students will elect the Student Representative to the School Committee. Please join me in congratulating them:
- Ayden Bondanza - Grade 11, Plumbing
- Daniel Carnovale - Grade 10, Automotive Technology
- Anna Doughty - Grade 10, Medical Assisting
- Skyla Doyle - Grade 10, Medical Assisting
- Trevor Engel - Grade 9
- Rachyl Gardner - Grade 11, Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management
- Claudia Guerrero - Grade 11, Health Assisting
- Jasmine Johansen - Grade 10, Health Assisting
- Toby Lage - Grade 12, Business Technology/Marketing
- Allie Oliver - Grade 10, Health Assisting
- Eva Oppedisano - Grade 10, Health Assisting
- Tayla Tildsley - Grade 12, Business Technology/Marketing
- Michaela Vittum - Grade 11, Health Assisting
Mask Compliance at Shawsheen
Earlier today, Dr. Jackson wrote to parents/guardians regarding mask compliance at Shawsheen. Please read that letter if you have not done so already. It outlines concerns we have with the number of students only partially complying with the mask mandate and the steps we will be taking to address this, effective Tuesday, October 12, 2021. These steps include increased enforcement and modeling of the masking rules by staff and revised consequences for masking violations, which will now include detentions or suspension depending on the frequency and severity of the situation. This information was also outlined in a letter to students from Ms. Cook that was sent out this afternoon.
Q1 Mid-Term Progress Reports
Quarter 1 mid-term progress reports have been published and are available to view in the Aspen Family Portal. A link to the PDF copy of your child's progress report is available under the 'Published' section on the main page when you log into your Aspen Family Portal Account.
If you are having difficulty accessing the Aspen Family Portal please read the instructions below to submit a ticket at the following link: https://shawsheentech.sherpadesk.com/portal/
• Click on the green 'Submit Ticket' button
• Enter email address
• For Location, select: _Home
• For Class, select: _PARENT ASPEN LOGIN ISSUES
• Please provide all contact information
Spring 2021 MCAS Tests Parent/Guardian Reports
Earlier this week, we mailed Spring 2021 MCAS Tests Parent/Guardian Reports for all students who took the English and Mathematics MCAS this past June. If you do not receive those in the mail by the end of next week, please contact Diane Cedorchuk.
Class of 2022 Senior Photo Deadline is Friday, December 3rd, 2021.
Attention seniors: please email your senior photo to email@example.com and include your full name and shop in that email. You will receive a confirmation email back once it is received.
Message from Mr. Robert Roach, Food Service Director
Please read the Supply Chain Shortage Letter, issued this week by our Food Service Director, Mr. Robert Roach, regarding the student lunch menu.
- 2021-2022 SVTHS School Calendar
- Important Dates for the 2021-2022 School Year
- 2021-2022 SVTHS Student Handbook
- 2021-2022 SVTHS Program of Studies
- Aspen Family Portal
- Submit a Ticket to the Ed Tech Help Desk
- Email covid concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What to Wear and Bring to Freshman Shop Exploratory
- Monday, October 11: NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday, October 20: Early Release Day at 10:43am/Teacher Workshop
- Thursday, October 21: College Fair (Gymnasium), 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Follow us on social media:
- Twitter: shawtech_hs and @shawtech_sports
- Instagram: shawtech_hs
- Facebook: Shawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical School District