Principal's Update - October 29th, 2021
Dear Shawsheen Students, Parents/Guardians, and Colleagues,
We are a week away from the end of the first quarter and we are so proud of what students have accomplished so far! From progress in academic classes, to skill-building in shops, to participation in our extra-curricular and athletics programs, students have truly embraced the opportunities available to them at Shawsheen and are thriving in so many ways. This feels especially important coming out of a hybrid school year and an extended period of isolation for so many as a result of the pandemic. At the same time, we have also observed an increase in inappropriate behaviors from students, consistent with what is being experienced at schools across the entire state. We are taking a number of approaches to address these concerns, one of which will be to have small group meetings with all freshmen (since this group of students is newest both to Shawsheen and to the expectations for behavior at the high school level) next week to review and clarify our expectations for behavior at Shawsheen, provide education on healthy ways to respond to stress/conflict, and ensure students are aware of the supports and resources they can access at Shawsheen. Once those presentations are complete, we will assess the need for similar meetings and presentations with students in grades 10-12 and continue to communicate our plans.
Virtual Parent/Teacher Night - Thursday, November 18, 2021
To best accommodate the needs of all families, our Parent/Teacher Nights will be virtual again this year, over Microsoft Teams. We will send out additional information next week about Parent/Teacher conferences and how to register for meetings with individual teachers. Stay tuned for more information!
Laptop Reminders for Students
Recently, we have found an increase in issues with student laptops and want to make both families and students aware of these important reminders to ensure students are able to successfully utilize these tools for all of their classes.
- Bring the laptop to school every day during the academic week and shop week if instructed to bring it to the shop.
- Fully charge the laptop in the evening.
- Check for updates and run them before arriving at school.
- Properly shut down your device before leaving school or leaving home.
- Place the laptop in the protective case when not in use.
- Do not loan your laptop or charger to another student.
Indoor Mask Mandate for Schools Extended
This past Tuesday, Education Commissioner Jeff Riley informed schools that the indoor mask requirement for K-12 public schools has been extended until January 15, 2022.
Reminder: Register for Winter Sports!
Winter Sports: Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Basketball Cheering, Boys Hockey, Girls Hockey, Co-ed Swim and Wrestling
- Student-athletes interested in playing a winter sport MUST register through FamilyID prior to the season start date, Monday, November 29. All student-athletes must have a current physical uploaded to their FamilyID account and complete concussion courses/testing prior to tryouts. If you completed these concussion courses/tests during the Fall Sports season, you do not need to take them again. Any questions regarding concussion testing can be directed to our Athletic Trainer, Charlotte Anderson.
Any questions – please email the Athletic Administrative Assistant, Jaime Lee.