Shawsheen Valley Technical High School
Friday, August 21, 2020
Dear Shawsheen Students and Parents/Guardians,
Thank you to those of you who were able to attend the Parent Forum that Dr. Jackson and I co-hosted on Wednesday. This was an important opportunity for us to provide you with additional information on our fall reopening plans. The thoughtful questions asked throughout the session enabled it to be a successful experience and we appreciate your participation. We have made the recording available online, as shared yesterday at the following link: Recording of SVTHS Parent Forum - Wednesday, August 19, 2020. We've received the feedback that some people have had difficulty accessing the video link, particularly on certain mobile devices. For that reason, we have also made the recording available on our YouTube channel: SVTHS YouTube Channel: Recording of SVTHS Parent Forum - Wednesday, August 19, 2020. I am writing to you today with a number of important updates in response to some of the topics that came up during the parent forum.
Borrowing a Student Laptop for the 2020-2021 School Year
A few weeks ago a survey was sent home to help determine which students would need to borrow a laptop from the school in order to participate in remote learning. We also informed you that a device could be requested by emailing Ms. Schrimpf at email@example.com. A laptop has been desginated for your student if you indicated the need for one on the survey or if you emailed Ms. Schrimpf to request one. As long as you have taken one of those actions, we are prepared to provide your student with a school laptop to borrow. If you need a laptop for your child and have not taken one of those actions, please email Ms. Schrimpf at the email address above.
Specifications for Student Devices
Many students will be using their personal devices to participate in remote learning this fall. Please make sure the student device meets the requirements listed below so that they can successfully participate. The student device must:
- be a computer or laptop - a cell phone is not an acceptable device to use for remote learning;
- have a camera (or a webcam connected to the device) so the student can participate in virtual classes with the video turned on;
- have a working microphone so that the student can participate orally in virtual classes;
- have working speakers so the student can hear what is happening in the session;
- be able to connect to the internet and run an internet browser.
Student Pick-up of School Laptops
Students who have requested school laptops will receive them as follows:
- students entering the 9th grade will receive their school laptops during the first week of school;
- students entering grades 10-12 will pick up their school laptops in the gymnasium on August 31, September 1, and September 2 after they take their school photos on the patio outside the cafeteria and then return the books/items owed to the school in the gymnasium.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students will be required to log into their assigned laptops before leaving the school in order for the laptops to work when taken home.
Student Forum - Monday, August 31 at 3:00pm
Dr. Jackson and I will be co-hosting a virtual student forum on Monday, August 31 at 3:00pm to answer questions from students about the upcoming school year. This session will be recorded and posted online to view for those who are unable to attend. A link for the forum will be sent out next week.
9th Grade Orientation for Students & Parents
The Guidance & Health Services Department will be hosting a virtual 9th grade orientation for incoming 9th grade students and parents/guardians on Wednesday, September 2 at 6:00pm. More information and a link to the event will be sent out next week.
Bus Transportation Survey
There were a number of questions asked about bus transportation during the Parent Forum, with many parents noting changes in their plans since the survey that was sent out a few weeks ago. In response, we ask that you please fill out the following form if your child will utilize bus transportation when we return to school: SVTHS Bus Transportation Survey.
- ASAP: contact Ms. Schrimp at firstname.lastname@example.org (if you have not done so already) if your child will need to borrow a laptop from the school.
- ASAP: fill out the following form to opt for 100% remote learning : SVTHS Parent Form - Opting for 100% Remote Instruction.
- Monday, August 24: deadline for seniors to register for the Emergency SAT on September 23, 2020 - please email Mr. Baione at email@example.com if you have questions.
- Monday & Tuesday, August 24 & 25: freshman & upper-class transfer photos from 9:00am - 12:00pm at Shawsheen - Click here for more information.
- Thursday, August 27: deadline to request a parking pass (to pick up at school August 31 - September 2) - Click here for more information.
- Monday, August 31: Student Forum at 3:00pm (event link will be sent next week).
- Monday - Wednesday, August 31 & September 1-2: photo and book return days for students entering grades 10, 11 & 12 from 9:00am - 2:00pm - Click here for more information.
- Wednesday, September 2, 2020: 9th Grade Orientation for Student & Parents/Guardians at 6:00pm (event link will be sent next week).
- Monday, September 14, 2020: First day of school for students - Revised 2020-2021 School Calendar.
We look forward to welcoming staff into the building next Wednesday to kick off the 10 professional days that will be used to prepare for students to start school on September 14. I will continue to be in touch with updates in the weeks ahead and look forward to welcoming back our students!