• Nurses' Office


    Maggie Joyce
    School Nurse Leader
    School Nurse Asst LPN
    School Nurse 978-671-3625  978-671-3649

    The following are services we provide:

    Illness assessment, referral and follow-up

    Care for students with chronic medical diagnoses

    Routine & emergency first aid treatment

    Infection prevention

    Infectious disease reporting

    Health education

    Mandated screenings

    Medication administration

    2020-2021 School Year Updates:
    The Nurses’ Office requires the Annual Student Health Information form to be filled out for this school year. This allows the nurses office to be aware of any changes that may have taken place in order to best care for your student. This form also includes permission to exchange information with your student’s healthcare provider & permission for your student to receive medications in the nurses office if necessary. Access form below.

    The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has announced that an influenza immunization is required for all students. The new state-wide vaccine requirement is an important step to reduce flu-related illness and ​the overall impact of respiratory illness during the COVID-19 pandemic. Students are expected to have received a flu vaccine by December 31, 2020 for the 2020-2021 influenza season, unless either a medical or religious exemption is provided. Please provide the proper documentation to the Nurses’ Office via paper, fax, or email when your student is vaccinated.

    Starting in the 2020-21 school year, all students entering grade 11 will need meningococcal conjugate vaccine, MenACWY (brand names Menveo or Menactra) for school entry. One booster dose must be received on or after 16 years of age.

    Medical exemptions (statement from a physician stating that a vaccine is medically contraindicated for a student) and religious exemptions (statement from a student, or parent/guardian if the student is <18 years of age, stating that a vaccine is against sincerely held religious beliefs) should be renewed annually at the start of the school year. If applicable, please send documentation to Maggie Joyce, RN, BSN, School Nurse.

    COVID-19 Information:
    Below is the full list of symptoms for which caregivers should monitor their children

    • Fever (100.0° Fahrenheit or higher), chills, or shaking chills (CDC has lowered the temperature from 100.4 to 100.0)
    • Cough (not due to other known cause, such as chronic cough)
    • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
    • New loss of taste or smell
    • Sore throat
    • Headache when in combination with other symptoms
    • Muscle aches or body aches
    • Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
    • Fatigue, when in combination with other symptoms
    • Nasal congestion or runny nose (not due to other known causes, such as allergies) when in combination with other symptoms

    If your student exhibits any of these symptoms, please keep home and contact student’s medical provider. Please notify the school nurse. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the Center for Disease Control, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. 

    Medication Administration:
    If your student needs prescription medication administered during the school day, please make sure to fill out the Parent Authorization & MD Order form that can be found on the Shawsheen website. Medications taken at the nurses’ office during the school day need to be in the original prescription bottle and dropped off by a parent/guardian.

    If your student needs an EpiPen or inhaler, please provide a Parent Authorization & MD order form. EpiPens and inhalers can be stored in the nurses’ office. Your student may carry the EpiPen or inhaler with his/her doctor’s & parent/guardian’s written permission. Permission to carry these medications will also be evaluated by the school nurse.

    Medical Accommodations:
    If your student requires medical accommodations at any time during the school year, please contact the school nurses’ office. These include, but are not limited to, injuries, chronic illness and surgeries. Proper documentation is required from student’s care provider. Documentation can be provided to the nurses’ office and appropriate staff will be notified as needed.


    Medication Parent Authorization/MD Order Form

    Annual Student Health Information Form

    Authorization to Release/Obtain Healthcare Information

    Medical Accommodation Form

    Student Health and Emergency Info Form

    Student Dental

    School Health Records

    Certificate of Immunization

    Forms may be mailed to the school with ATTN: School Nurse, dropped off by your student, faxed, or scanned and emailed. Please be sure to send in/submit these form as soon as possible, as it is important that we know as much information about your student from the start. If conditions or medications change throughout the school year, please be sure to update the Shawsheen school nurses’ office.