In a field that will grow alongside the economy and population, Electricians install, test and maintain electrical systems. Electrical is a licensed trade that requires not only highly technical knowledge and skill but also a thorough understanding of the Massachusetts State Electrical Code. The Electrical program is designed to integrate shop-based and off-site learning experiences including the school-sponsored house construction project. Students will master wiring methods (commercial and residential), blueprint reading, electrical code, and operating principles of motors, transformers and controlling circuits.
- General and Specific Wiring Methodology
- Residential, Commercial and Industrial Wiring
- Schematic Diagrams
- Power Distribution Systems
- Layout and Construction of Multi- Functional Motor Control Circuits
- OSHA 10-Hour Safety Credentials
- Blueprint Reading and Estimating
- Massachusetts State Electrical Code
- Applied Electrical Mathematics, Science and Theory
- Apprentice Electrician – Union/Open Shop
- Licensed Journeyman Electrician
- Licensed Master Electrician
- Self-Employed Electricial Contractor
- Electrical Sales – Materials/Supplies
- Alarm/Fiber Optics Installation
- Appliance Technician
Students can obtain up to 1,500 apprenticeship hours and 300 classroom instruction hours toward their Journeyman’s electrician license requirements.
Tech Prep articulation agreements exist with several colleges for students to receive credit for coursework completed while at Shawsheen.